Monday, November 22, 2010

I donated to Wikipedia (and my thoughts about it)

I'm just as surprised as you are that I not only donated to Wikipedia, but that I'm writing about it. I once disdained that site, and justified my stance based on its openness to be edited by anyone.

As a matter of fact, I edited a Wikipedia entry a few years ago before I formed any opinion about it whatsoever. I added one of my websites in an appropriate article, elated by the fact that I had 'done my part.' (But let's be honest, shall we? I was moreso gleaming from the idea that I had advertised my site for free!)

Well, in a matter of hours, someone demoted my site to the bottom of the list of related sites. I was shocked. Really?? Someone had viewed and changed what I had done so soon? Actually, that person was perfectly correct in their reordering. Whereas my site is rather small and sometimes nebulous in focus, the sites they placed at the top of the list had far more content and were also internationally referenced and recognized. So much for my attempt at pushing my little site, eh?? LOL

AnyHOO, after I donated, Wikipedia popped up a form asking if I'd like to share my "story" (their word, not mine) -- and they promised not to publish it without my permission.

Well, Wikipedia, you don't have to wait. Here's what I wrote on that form:

"I donated because I couldn't justify *not* doing so. Wikipedia has been a constant and reliable source of information for me, both for personal entertainment and business purposes.

Wikipedia contains the most relevant information on every topic imaginable; content is updated at the speed of current relevance, and errors are quickly eradicated by wary and knowing users.

This site has placed the Age of Information into the hands of the common person: People like me. People like you. There is nothing more powerful than an immediately editable knowledge base given to a global body of users.

You trust your users to do the right thing.
We trust Wikipedia to give us the truth."

P.S. The Information Age has placed great responsibility -- and by extension, power -- in the hands of the common person. Events recorded on cell phones / cameras, or through simple text comments on sites, have often shaped and changed perceptions on a global level.
Gone (thankfully) are the days during which people relied on news stations and local papers to tell us what to think.
We no longer depend on an often biased, skewed, paid-off media for the real stories.

As long as you and I keep a vigilant eye (and a recording device) handy, we render The Biggest Liars powerless.

If that's not power, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment